< Back to index
Project Plan / Build Sequence
- Choose/purchase a van
- Create an electricity consumption estimate
- Create/aquire a wiring diagram
- Choose a heater (diesel; electric; diesel/electric hybrid; gas)
- Choose ventilation (fan/airconditioning/vents)
2. Cut Holes
- Drill/cut out holes for windows, vent fans, shore power inlet, water fill inlet, solar panel wires, chassis ground, gray water outlet.
3. Grey Water
- Install the grey water tank.
4. Shower Pan
- Shower platform and pan; plumbing the drain into the grey water tank.
- Shower pan assembly (either directly on the bare-metal van floor, or on top of the sub-frame/floor.
- Create a sub-frame, and insulate spaces within the subframe.
- Run any wiring or pipes you want hidden beneath the floor.
- Install the floor, screw to subframe.
7. Solar Panels
- DC-DC charger
- System branch circuits (lights; fridge; heater; water heater; stove; fans)
- Fuse all the branch connectors (DC)
- Install circuit breakers (AC)
Note - run wires as close as possible to where they're terminated (device/outlet/appliance/etc
Branch circuits are the wires that run from this load center to the various “loads” like lights, a refrigerator, fans, etc. Each branch circuit has either a fuse (for DC loads) or a circuit breaker (for AC loads).
- Add battens/frame to which to fasten ceiling panels.
- Wire roof lighting.
- Install ceiling ventilation/air conditioner/fan.
- Install ceiling panels
- Isotemp marine-style water heater and connect it up to the engine’s coolant lines.When you drive your water is heated by simply driving and stays hot for a long time. Isotemp water heaters with a van installation kit
- Fresh Water Tank & plumbing
Appliances and cabinets
- Refrigerator/freezer and microwave
- Galley Cabinets
- Run LED/PUK lighting cables
- Only panel over areas that will be visible.
- Sand/paint/varnish panels
- Fit LED/PUK lighting
- Seat Swivels
- Address issues uncovered by shakedown trip
All content copyright © Michael Wittenburg 1995 to 2023. All rights reserved.
Merch (t-shirts designed by my twin)